I managed to get my logs sawn into timbers in trade for some picture frames, and I went to work on the frame. Lacking electrical power and with somewhat inferior tools I set about building the frame. The progress was slow, using a bit and brace, but by the end of the season I had the floor and walls up, and had begun on the trusses. But then the snow came and I had to stop. The frame at that point looked like this.
A great deal happened, and a year and a half went by in the blink of an eye, before I returned to the frame.
Over this period I lost my horse. It turned out that Pinnochio had a brain tumor, and his feet started to go. There was quite a spectacular reunion when he was first returned to the herd. And he spent his last days in the warm barn back at the riding school.
When I returned to the frame in June of 08, it was with an entirely different approach. What I have come to think of as Phase 2.
After several years of sporadic efforts, Heidi was still painting in what we had started to call her "closet." I had long wanted to expand my shop into the other half of my building and get some new tools and machines. We looked at the situation and figured it was now or never. So we swallowed our pride and went about begging for a small business loan. When Opportunities Credit Union, Burlington, VT decided to back us, the whole project got a much needed boost. Mad props to their board! No longer dependent on found materials, I ordered timbers and 1" boards from a local sawyer. And I was off.
I used an English tying joint. By leaving the ties long, they cantilever out for a substantial 16” overhang. Load from the rafter is transfered to the tie outboard of the post. I am not an engineer, but this configuration looked very strong to me. I got the idea from medieval frames with a jettied second floor. Also, I needed a large overhang on the south side to keep from overheating in the early summer and late fall. The pitch of the roof was determined by the largest 6”x7” timber I felt I could raise above my head and manipulate. This turned out to be about a 10 foot piece in green pine, so that’s where I cut them off. With 16’ ties this ended up giving me a 9 in 12 pitch or a little better. Good enough for wood shingles. Raising the trusses was scary stuff. I did it alone, one piece at a time. To aid in this I did several things which I would recommend. First I was very careful not to make loose joints. If the tenons go in and stick a little, everything can be assembled slowly. Loose tenons that drive home too quickly can also be dangerous. Secondly I cut in queen posts, which were unnecessary, structurally, but formed built in props for each rafter. These could then just be left in place.
Before I could shingle the mudroom, the bargeboards had to go up. Might as well try to make them pretty. The red flower petals are relief carved in the cedar.